After the duPonts built their kitchen in ca. 1910, they subdivided the Madison-era kitchen found in the North Wing Cellar into a storage area and a passage. The kitchen's fireplace was infilled in ca. 1881 when a cooking stove was installed. Also in ca. 1881, a small, approximately five foot tall doorway was installed just to the right of the fireplace.