To restore the Madison-era floors in the ca. 1764 dining room, the Restoration Team needed to first remove the existing ca. 1901 floorboards. The floors in this room were replaced in 1901 because the framing that supported it had settled over three inches by the time the duPonts purchased Montpelier. The duPonts decided that instead of using a jack to lift the framing back into place, which would have been a major undertaking, to instead install new boards onto the side of the ca. 1764 joists. Narrow pine floorboards were then nailed to these new boards and these were the floors found in the room at the start of the restoration.
©The Montpelier Foundation