One of the few changes made to the interior of Montpelier between 1844 (the year Montpelier was sold out of the Madison family) until the ca. 1901 duPont renovations was the removal of the closet found in the Upper South Passage. While no historical evidence has been found to suggest what the Madison’s used the closet for, these spaces were typically used to store linens, china, clothes or other personal items. Physical evidence found during an investigation that took place before the Restoration uncovered the location of the closet and determined that it dated to ca. 1764. However, in order to accurately reconstruct the closet the Restoration Team would need to gather additional evidence from the walls, floor, and ceiling of the Upper South Passage.
©The Montpelier Foundation