Previous | Next

Luckily, further evidence of the stair’s slope was left in place when the stair was demolished in ca. 1901.  Two ca. 1764 nailers were found between the studs that framed the partition between the Stair and South Passage.  These nailers had been set at an angle and were located in the approximate location of the skirt board.  Therefore they helped to reveal both the angle of the stair and the width of the skirt board. 


Nailers that onces supported the ca. 1764 skirt board.  These nailers also provided information on the slope of the missing stair.